fbpx

Interim market at Salamanca ‘one step closer’

Written by on July 20, 2020

AN INTERIM market at Salamanca Place is a step closer, with the Hobart City Council tonight endorsing the required road closure in order to operate the market.

The approval was needed in order to operate a new market in place of the Salamanca Market, which is currently suspended due to COVID-19.

A report to Council explained that, as the interim market will have a changed footprint, number of stalls and different opening hours, it is legally considered a new market and required a new stallholder agreement and resolution of Council.

It was also noted that the new market could not trade as Salamanca Market, due to the market remaining suspended. The Council resolved to undertake further consultation this week with stallholders regarding the name under which the interim market would be promoted.

The new market is expected to launch on August 8.

The modified market will operate in two sections – each able to hold up to 500 people – and with a total of around 90 stalls. The proposed start date is Saturday 8 August.

It is proposed to operate until such time that conditions allow Salamanca Market, in its original format, to resume operations.

General Manager Nick Heath said there was one more key procedural step in the planning process.

“The interim market will have a changed footprint, number of sites and different opening hours,” he said. “Before we can proceed, a formal resolution of Council to close the road for that purpose is required. It’s a small but vital step that is needed for us to comply with the Local Government Act.”

A Special Council Meeting will be held on 20 July to facilitate the required resolution.

Mr Heath said staff were working hard behind the scenes to make sure the interim market meets all necessary health and legal requirements.

“A COVID Safe Plan is being developed for the market and all required safety precautions will be taken,” he said.

PHOTO: Peter Lam Photography

Acting Lord Mayor Helen Burnet said a start date of Saturday 8 August had been identified.

“We now know that we can have up to 500 people – including stallholders – in each of the two sections,” she said. “There will be designated entry and exit points and volunteers will assist in making sure everyone is safe. And there will be plenty of hand sanitiser to go around.”

Cr Burnet said it had been a difficult few months for stallholders, many of whom relied on the weekly market as their primary source of income.

“This interim market will be smaller than they are used to, but we’re pleased to give stallholders the opportunity to get back out there selling their products,” she said.

“This smaller market will be promoted as Tasmania’s Own Market and will be a great opportunity for locals to reconnect with stallholders and the wonderful Tasmanian products they offer.”


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Current track
Title
Artist

Background