Tasmania records first Coronavirus case in over TWO MONTHS
Written by Josh Agnew on July 20, 2020
Tasmania has recorded a new coronavirus case for the first time in more than two months.
This evening, Dr Scott McKeown, acting director of Public Health, Public Health Services, confirmed the case was a “young woman” who had been in hotel quarantine after returning to Tasmania from Victoria.
“The woman is currently receiving treatment at the Royal Hobart Hospital, and Public Health Services are conducting contact tracing,” he said.
Tasmania had last recorded a COVID-19 infection more than 60 days ago, with the new infection taking the state’s overall number of cases to 227.
Further information about the case would be provided tomorrow, Dr McKeown said.
Up until this point, the state had gone over 1 month without any active cases of Coronavirus.
Premier Peter Gutwein said there were about 600 people in hotel quarantine in the state, and a further 1,000 in home quarantine. He released the first report of the Premier’s Economic and Social Recovery Council on Monday afternoon. The new report contains 64 recommendations to restore demand of jobs and address economic and social structural issues.
Key recommendations include presenting to the Tasmanian community a future COVID-19 management strategy, more support for small to medium-sized businesses to access private sector finance and business advice, and careful management around the state’s construction blitz.